New 60w tube and Power supply guildlines.

Go-C Graphics

New 60w tube and Power supply guildlines.

Post by Go-C Graphics »

I recently replaced my Tube and power supply.

I purchased the 60W tube and matching 40w-60w power supply. I also purchased and wired in an Ammeter from light object.
I have a chiller mantaning a temp of 22-23*C

What are some guildlines for this combonation of parts? What's the max current that I can run safely?
Am I able to run a cut file at 20A for long periods of time? How long is too long?

Basicly I just spent alot of money getting my laser back up and running and I want it to last me a long time. How do I safely do that?

Thanks
Techgraphix

Re: New 60w tube and Power supply guildlines.

Post by Techgraphix »

You probably mean 20mA.. That's about the maximum (20-22mA)
Simple rule (not entirely true): the higher you set the current the sooner a tube will end..
If, say 70% gives you 20mA with a fresh tube and you see the current increasing (for instance 70% gives you 25mA with the same watertemperature) it means that the tube is slowly dieing. When you reach 30-35mA you should have replaced it immediately before you blow your supply.
Your water may be set a little colder. it has to do with the dewpoint. In my workshop it's only 15 degrees, that's also the temperature I set my cooler to.. I think that 18 degrees, in your case, would extend the tube's life too.
Using a powermeter and measure the power once a month will give you a graph where you see the decay of outputpower over time. When you also have an hourtimer attached to the controller, you can make this graph power related to lasertime.. if you write the current too you will see one rising and on decaying line.

Kees
Go-C Graphics

Post by Go-C Graphics »

Yes I did mean 20mA.
I can't run the water any colder without forming condensation on the tube.
I'm hoping with the winter approaching I'll be able to lower the water temp some more.

So if I keep it under 20mA everything should be good for a long time right?
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

I don't know if the cooling-liquid does something with the condensation but i use ordinary car-antifreeze-coolingfluid. I have te same fluid in it for years now... No condensation, no algea no nothing all the time i'm using my laser. Even in summer when the temperature rises to over 25 degrees i still have my cooler set to 15 degrees..
Condensation can also mean that the air in the workshop is too humid.. 60% max

But if you don't exceed this 20-22mA your tube will live longer, under normal circumstances..

Kees
turkletom

Post by turkletom »

The antifreeze is really good at keeping the algae out but it does nothing about condensation.

Condensation happens when temperature goes below the dew-point.
And dew-point is a function of temperature, absolute humidity and barometric pressure.

99% of the time you're good to just set a temp and roll with it, but I live in a place where certain autumn days the dew-point can sneak up to just 2 degrees below ambient temp. Let's just say ever since that day my favourite color is green-yellow.

If you happen to experience misting on the tube and want to know how low you can set your temp on a given day, just look at the METAR report on your local airport's website. It looks like this;

METAR LHUD 160815Z 14013KT 9999 FEW020 15/11 Q1017=

That 15(current temp)/11(dew-point) is what you're looking for.

Is it overkill? Absolutely. But still a handy little trick to know.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”