DIY Instructions For Laser Build

shanet94

DIY Instructions For Laser Build

Post by shanet94 »

Right now we run a Epilog 18x12 laser. This machine is always breaking down and Epilog gouges you on parts. I have finally had enough of my MADE IN THE USA machine and would like to build my own. I will be using the 900 x 600 XY Stage and the 600 x 600 frame kit with the 900 x 600 motorized lift table. Are their any "how too" assembly and wire these and a parts list of what all I will need to build it? I spent hours over the weekend on this forum and am excited to get started. I have built CNC machines using Mach3 in the past without issue so i figure I could tackle a laser as well if i can find a good how too. Thank you for any assistance and help.

Shane
Techgraphix

Re: DIY Instructions For Laser Build

Post by Techgraphix »

like this?
Laser1.jpg
Not too hard to build and a good machine.. I can give you some assistance how to build a nice land reliable laser machine.
But I have to know what you can, what you already have and howmuch you want to spend..
Building your own laser is NOT cheaper, but you will get better materials and a lot of knowledge for the same price..
Included cooling (CW5000), airassist, ventilation, 3 sets of lenses etc etc I spend about 5500 euro

Kees
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

I understand that I can buy a prebuilt China laser cheaper then I can build one. I wanted to build it myself because I feel it would be a better machine plus I would understand the workings.
Thank you
Shane
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hi Shane:

Where you at? If you're in USA, it is cheaper to build because of less shipping cost. In general, it cost $2800 for a 900x600 100W system. Or, it cost roughly $3,600 for a 1200x900 100W system with chiller. By building a system, you will learn a lot and save you a lot of trouble when system has a problem to fix. Plus, we locate in USA (Northern California) and we can send replacement or doing repair quick should any issue happened. Buying from China isn't a bad idea if the price is good that enough to cover potential issue after sales. Just make sure that they have good support from the company. That's all you need.

BTW,try not to buy machine from Jinan City, Shandong province if you decided to go for a machine from China. My advise ;)

Marco
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Tech_Marco wrote:Hi Shane:

Where you at? If you're in USA, it is cheaper to build because of less shipping cost. In general, it cost $2800 for a 900x600 100W system. Or, it cost roughly $3,600 for a 1200x900 100W system with chiller. By building a system, you will learn a lot and save you a lot of trouble when system has a problem to fix. Plus, we locate in USA (Northern California) and we can send replacement or doing repair quick should any issue happened. Buying from China isn't a bad idea if the price is good that enough to cover potential issue after sales. Just make sure that they have good support from the company. That's all you need.

BTW,try not to buy machine from Jinan City, Shandong province if you decided to go for a machine from China. My advise ;)

Marco
We are in Texas USA. Do you have a parts list and assembly diagram for a machine?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Send me your 'wish' system you want to build and I'll create a complete parts list with chiller for you.
Do you need casing from us (aluminum case)? If no, then I will not include it. Anyway, I'll create a list that you can add/drop item later

Marco
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Tech_Marco wrote:Send me your 'wish' system you want to build and I'll create a complete parts list with chiller for you.
Do you need casing from us (aluminum case)? If no, then I will not include it. Anyway, I'll create a list that you can add/drop item later

Marco
Thank you Marco! I am looking to build a 80 or 100 Watt 900x600 machine with auto focus if possible and yes I would like the aluminum casing as well :)

Thank you
Shane
mikeyd

Post by mikeyd »

me too :D, well I'm starting anyways, sounds like we want
to build pretty much the same thing, but since I'm up in the north
(Canada) I'm building a frame to save some cost
Attachments
thumb_IMG_0220_1024.jpg
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

@mikeyd: I see you have a lot of space. But as 90% of the people move once in 10 years average, I think it is wise to split up the frame in two or three parts.
I made my frame from steel profiles too:
Frame4.jpg
As you can see here, I build a rigid part with 20x40x1.5 tubes around the workarea and attached the rest with 20x20x1.5.
The supportframe is 40x40x1.
The rails for the gantry are on a 40x40x4 L-profile which is bolted and glued to the mainframe (not welded as it should be aligned first before fixing it)
There is only one thing in this design that I should do different when i had to do it again: I designed it for a 60W tube and the space is sufficient, but if I gave it 2cm more room I could also place a 80W Reci instead. Now I have to stick with those 60W tubes..
Another thing that might be improved is that I used 10mm belts. I think 20 or even 25mm belts will give better performance at very high speeds and accelerations.
Not knowing anything about lasers I build this a few years ago with T5-belts. Soon those will be replaced with GT2 types.. see if this gives me even more smooth curves etc..

Kees
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

My machine has been running great for a few years now. 80w Very reliable. Stays aligned. Has made good money.

I am with Kees on that one thing. The only thing I would do if starting over is wider belts. Mine are 10mm I would make then 20mm.
Attachments
IMG_0978.JPG
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

shanet94 wrote:
Tech_Marco wrote:Send me your 'wish' system you want to build and I'll create a complete parts list with chiller for you.

Marco
Thank you Marco! I am looking to build a 80 or 100 Watt 900x600 machine with auto focus if possible and yes I would like the aluminum casing as well :)

Thank you
Shane

I just sent you a 'wish list' through Email. You may click the "Add to cart" and find out the total cost
Let me know if you have any question.

Because of including power Z table and water chiller ($635), it is a little bit higher than my first quote.
With S/H, it is roughly $4000. It is a 100W system with the LO1600W water chiller that is capable to drive two 130W laser tube. The motor Z table is $400 each. So that it is about $1000 more.

Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

mikeyd wrote:me too :D, well I'm starting anyways, sounds like we want
to build pretty much the same thing, but since I'm up in the north
(Canada) I'm building a frame to save some cost
Mike:

I sent you a wish list for a complete 100W DIY machine part list. It includes a water chiller and the case. You may remove it and add all item in the basket to find out the total before buying.

Let me know if you have any question

Marco
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Tech_Marco wrote:
shanet94 wrote:

Marco

Thank you
Shane

I just sent you a 'wish list' through Email. You may click the "Add to cart" and find out the total cost
Let me know if you have any question.

Because of including power Z table and water chiller ($635), it is a little bit higher than my first quote.
With S/H, it is roughly $4000. It is a 100W system with the LO1600W water chiller that is capable to drive two 130W laser tube. The motor Z table is $400 each. So that it is about $1000 more.

Marco
Thank you! Will start getting parts on the 24th ;) Does each part show how to assemble / wire itself? I have built and wired CNC machines without issue so i do not see myself having too much issue. Also it states on the ztable that it requires a frame, do you sell those as well or something we just need to fabricate?

Thanks
Shane
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Shane:

There is no step by step for the build but everything is very straight forward. We will provide you a connection diagram to hook up parts like the DSP controller, motor driver, and power supply. Usually it take 1.5hr to build the XY stage but it take longer on the case because you may need to change dimension from time to time. Approximately, it take roughly 6hrs to build it. Or, it shouldn't take more than 3 days to finish the whole project.

The Z table is designed to fit into the frame. You can change bars to accommodate the Z table. Note that you should remove heavy load from the Z table if power is cut off. It is because that there is no hydraulic shocks built-in to hold the position without retract itself down to the bottom. For light weight it is OK. Without power is on but in idle, the Z table is capable to hold on object as heavy as 45lb! Just pay a little attention on this issue.

Me and other folks will help you to finish the assembly. No worry to damage parts (except for the laser tube), we have replacement for you. You will have fun to do the DIY and you will learn a lot after completed the project!

Marco
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Tech_Marco wrote:Shane:

There is no step by step for the build but everything is very straight forward. We will provide you a connection diagram to hook up parts like the DSP controller, motor driver, and power supply. Usually it take 1.5hr to build the XY stage but it take longer on the case because you may need to change dimension from time to time. Approximately, it take roughly 6hrs to build it. Or, it shouldn't take more than 3 days to finish the whole project.

The Z table is designed to fit into the frame. You can change bars to accommodate the Z table. Note that you should remove heavy load from the Z table if power is cut off. It is because that there is no hydraulic shocks built-in to hold the position without retract itself down to the bottom. For light weight it is OK. Without power is on but in idle, the Z table is capable to hold on object as heavy as 45lb! Just pay a little attention on this issue.

Me and other folks will help you to finish the assembly. No worry to damage parts (except for the laser tube), we have replacement for you. You will have fun to do the DIY and you will learn a lot after completed the project!

Marco
Thanks so much!
Shane

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”