Unpredictable results

funhawke

Unpredictable results

Post by funhawke »

Ran into a problem with a grahic I use ALL the time. We dress jerseys. For the numbers I cut from twill on the laser cutter - and I add a simulated stitch to each number. With the old controller it worked fine with stable results. Our season is underway and I thought I better set up new settings for the new dsp. All the tryouts were completely unpredictable in the outcome - some settings would work for a short time then bounce over to another spot on the design and start the process there with different results - some times it would just stay in the same spot and burn through the material. I think it may be a software issue. I have attached a pic of one sample that moved on the axis for whatever reason. As well I added the lasercut file. The files are generally large files but have always worked in the past with the old controller.

UPDATE: I just did the "duck" test image and it worked fine?
20150909_135325.jpg
20150909_135325.jpg (89.15 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Attachments
zerosimstitch.pwj5
(519.38 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
waltfl

Re: Unpredictable results

Post by waltfl »

hi there
a dump question how did you do this " stich over" and what is a "duck" test?
I am working with the AWC 608 since 8 years but never have seen this.
could you enlighten me?
thanks and greetings
waltfl

funhawke wrote:Ran into a problem with a grahic I use ALL the time. We dress jerseys. For the numbers I cut from twill on the laser cutter - and I add a simulated stitch to each number. With the old controller it worked fine with stable results. Our season is underway and I thought I better set up new settings for the new dsp. All the tryouts were completely unpredictable in the outcome - some settings would work for a short time then bounce over to another spot on the design and start the process there with different results - some times it would just stay in the same spot and burn through the material. I think it may be a software issue. I have attached a pic of one sample that moved on the axis for whatever reason. As well I added the lasercut file. The files are generally large files but have always worked in the past with the old controller.

UPDATE: I just did the "duck" test image and it worked fine?
20150909_135325.jpg
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

@Waltfl: the duck is in the controller's memory(X7) when it comes.. If you didn't upgrade to newer firmware and didn't delete it, it is still there..
@funhawke: when I look at the picture and see how the stitches are written in Lasercad, I only can imagine three things:
1: your material is shifted during the job.
2: due to high setting for acceleration and/or speed, your stepper is losing steps..
3: your file is mangled..

I tried to export it to .PLT and read it to convert it to DXF but almost all of my software (AI, CorelDraw, ArtCam) instantly hangs when I load it..
It's better to join all separate vectors to 4 individuals: inner and outer zigzag and inner and outer straight stitch.. Maybe this solves a lot..
I managed to download the .PLT once in Corel, and when I told to override the colors I saw many other lines too..
I advise you to clean up the vectors.. If you have the drawing in DXF I could do that in ArtCam..
I ran it on a piece of cardboard an see what happened.. Where the stray-lines where in Corel, I noticed some erratic moves.. This makes me think that there is something in the file that doesn't show on the screen but does make it happen..

Kees
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi techgraphix
oh I only have x6 that's probably why I did not see it.
the other question was how the zick zack line was created is there a short form or it has to be done line by line?
greetings
waltfl

Techgraphix wrote:@Waltfl: the duck is in the controller's memory(X7) when it comes.. If you didn't upgrade to newer firmware and didn't delete it, it is still there..
@funhawke: when I look at the picture and see how the stitches are written in Lasercad, I only can imagine three things:
1: your material is shifted during the job.
2: due to high setting for acceleration and/or speed, your stepper is losing steps..
3: your file is mangled..

I tried to export it to .PLT and read it to convert it to DXF but almost all of my software (AI, CorelDraw, ArtCam) instantly hangs when I load it..
It's better to join all separate vectors to 4 individuals: inner and outer zigzag and inner and outer straight stitch.. Maybe this solves a lot..
I managed to download the .PLT once in Corel, and when I told to override the colors I saw many other lines too..
I advise you to clean up the vectors.. If you have the drawing in DXF I could do that in ArtCam..
I ran it on a piece of cardboard an see what happened.. Where the stray-lines where in Corel, I noticed some erratic moves.. This makes me think that there is something in the file that doesn't show on the screen but does make it happen..

Kees
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

Thanks Kees. I reworked the file with limited success but it appeared to be a problem out of Corel Draw. My next attempt worked better but I used a single line vector font to create the stitch on the number path which reduced the number of "v"s on the stitch and number of nodes, reducing the size of the file dramatically, which I thought may have been the original problem. Your suggestion of linking all the stitches as one object and the outside line as another will also reduce that size and should prevent the jumping all over the board. I will keep you posted - will try again today.

@Waltfl: the method I use is found in Corel Draw "text along path" - I convert the original text to curves. Then I add text (in this case "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv") to the image path to create a simulated stitch pattern. As indicated above - use a single line vector font to assist reduced complexity and file size. The final step is the create a design in the original text such as "o" along the path and extract so the text looks like it has been stitched. On the old controller it worked well but was slow - this controller however works much cleaner..and faster.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

May be unrelated topics but just want to let you guys know that sometimes duplicate line will create when transferring from one format to another. For example, when you convert DXF to Illustrator for better cutting, there are duplicate lines over the original. To minimize the memory and duplication, there is a feature call "Delete repeat line" available on both LaserCad and the LaserWork (LOWork) from R5 DSP.

Marco
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

Thanks Marco - just tried the "delete Duplicate Lines" on another project I was working in - worked great, dropped 20 lines....that I didn't see. Still working on the simulated stitch pattern - getting close to good results.

Does the contoller have problems with large files. The reason I ask is this project requires 10 or more numbers to be done in simulated stitch. I seems to be working ok with one number but when I multiply by 10 will the burden be too much for the controller - which I thought was the original issue?
funhawke

Unpredictable results - STILL

Post by funhawke »

:eek: Still not getting a good product out. The cutter seems to shift. I checked the x and y motors and they seem to be fine - no slippage. The file size has been reduced - all duplicate lines deleted. Running out of solutions. Attached files from corel, lasercut. Working on it for hours - success rate 0 This is a closeup of the failed finished product
stitchcd2.jpg
compare.jpg
Attachments
stitch.pwj5
(150.94 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
stitchcd.cdr
(439.85 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Last edited by funhawke on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

There is one extra possibility: Do not Cut it but Engrave it.. Give all single line- vectors an offset of ~0.2mm inward and outward, so the have a certain linewidth.. (your V's are good already). You can speed it up a little to split the left and right half.. I think it will take about the same time to finish then..

Kees
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

An example included..
I rotate the zero to speed it up.. My machine does it in 5:20 minutes..
It comes out perfect..

Kees
Attachments
zerosimstitchMOD.pwj5
(546.69 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

Thanks Kees. Doing the job while I type. Question - why did you break up the engraved parts ( "v"s) in different layers?
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

Results failed again :( The green zero was just completed - took 7min 14. Bad shifting. I watched most of the work being done - it seems it is the cut line that I am having the issue with - it goes off...or the engraving went off the line first, not sure??

The second black zero is what they are supposed to look like.
IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG (160.52 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
IMG_2617.JPG
IMG_2617.JPG (110.65 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

I tried some different approaches. Using a straight outline cut with the v pattern it worked perfectly (bottom one below)

I then removed the straight line cut and replaced it with a pattern line (simulated stitch). Worked great for the v's but when it cut the outside edge it went to the gutter again.
Any suggestions? As I said previously, this pattern has worked well with the old Leetro controller but for some reason it is acting weird with the X7
patt.jpg
patt.jpg (592.69 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
IMG_2621-003.JPG
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

When is saw it working I had the idea that acceleration for cutting is different from engraving.. When I slow down the acceleration for engraving to, say, only 1000mm/s^2, the acceleration and deceleration is clearly visible when engraving as you will have huge overshoots and you can almost hear it slowing down like an old train.. BUT not for cutting.. the shaky movement is almost the same for this enormous amount of super-short lines.. like there is no acceleration at all for short lines (I tested it on 100mm but then both are clearly present..
Ofcourse your gantry is much heavier than the head alone so if your head is X and the gantry is Y, the settings for Y must be slower..
See if you reduce the startspeed a little..
Did my file fail? What part? the engraving was straight? where the cut-lines straight or do you seen they are bent (ie loosing steps on the very small movements) Or do you only see a shift pattern? which should mean it will move fast too early..(still shaky from the short parts)
It's clear that you loose steps and that is a mechanical issue..
Do you have stored the values for acceleration startspeed and speed from that leetro?

Kees
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

Yes your file was a fail - the engraving was fine - straight and as I would expect. The cutline however went haywire.

When I did the single line v's - with a straight cut line - worked great. I may have to use this product until I figure out the problem.

When I added the patterned cut - the v's cut fine(I used a mild cut instead of engrave) but the patterned cut shifted dramatically.

I had no changes in the start speed for the Leetro - default setting, no delay BUT I did have a dramatically reduced speed and lower power setting. I am going to give that a try on the same file to see if that makes a difference. Back in a moment(s) with results.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”