dxf file imports come in 10% of actual size - SOLVED

funhawke

dxf file imports come in 10% of actual size - SOLVED

Post by funhawke »

I import dxf files (export from corel draw) often. Each time I import however, it reduces the size of the graphic to 10% of the actual size required. I change the size in the size parameters and continue on with my work, not a real big deal but is there a setting I am missing when I import dxf files so that I do not have to resize everytime?

UPDATE: as @techgaphix indicates below - my problem was my macro had been set up years ago with a mm export - not cm. Once I changed the setting in Corel Draw to cm for exporting dxf - it worked. Thanks Kees!
Last edited by funhawke on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Techgraphix

Re: dxf file imports come in 10% of actual size

Post by Techgraphix »

Just a wild guess: do you export in centimeters and import in millimeters?

Kees
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

I didnt signify any - I just changed the corel doc to mm and imported again - same thing. Is there a setting in LaserCad to change import size?

On another note kees - I have run into a problem that I will post separately - can you have a look - unpredictable results will post shortly with pics
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

Still not found a solution for dxf files - BUT I did find a work around: I recreated my export file macro in Corel Draw to save exported laser files as PLT files instead of dxf and it works great now!
WarpedMindGames

Post by WarpedMindGames »

I have similar issues and it is my AWC608 not keeping settings. I've had to deal with the issue since I bought it. I would save my drawings in .dxf in Corel and then transport them over to laser cad (I use x6 and have never gotten any of the Corel plugins to work even with Corel Draw 12). My LaserCAD would always draw test boxes 97.5mm x 95.7mm and would not save the adjustments, even after several patches. So I have to create my drawing, import it, prototype then make calculations and adjustments.

I'm probably going to have to break down and buy the new R5, because it is Corel X6 compatible.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Just to make sure:
When you export the graphics to DXF (this is CorelDraw X6) you get this requester:
scale.jpg
scale.jpg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
As you can see you can enter the Export Units.. If it is in Centimeters your object will be loaded 10% of its size.. in meters it wil be 0.1% etc..
With PLT you can't select this units..

Kees
funhawke

Re: dxf file imports come in 10% of actual size - SOLVED

Post by funhawke »

THAT'S IT! I did a manual export in dxf (I had set up a macro years ago). I changed the parameters to cm instead of mm and bingo bango - that did the trick. Thanks Kees!

Now the question - is it better to use dxf or plt?
Techgraphix

Re: dxf file imports come in 10% of actual size - SOLVED

Post by Techgraphix »

DXF.. as this version of DXF also exports Beziers and curves..

Kees

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”