60W CO2 machine : replace tube or power supply?

GulfFO

60W CO2 machine : replace tube or power supply?

Post by GulfFO »

Machine : Artsign 60W CO2 laser engraver.

Work : engraving 1mm deep into silicone rubber & marking on stainless with paste

Problem : after several years of trouble free operation (4-8 hours per week) we are having to slow down the speed and increase power to achieve proper cut into the silicone rubber. the Edge of the cut is getting rounded instead of square at regular speed.

We would like to start by replacing either the Tube or the Power supply from Light Object....which part is most likely the cause of our issue.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Tech_Marco

Re: 60W CO2 machine : replace tube or power supply?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hi Scott:

By telling the name and the model of laser machine won't be able to help us to determine which part is good for you.
We need the actual size of the tube: length and diameter.

If you have clean or replace the optics, probably it may need to be replaced for many years of usage. In your case, only 4~8hrs a weeks usage seems not heavy use. But, since you're doing engraving on rubber, you may want to double check the focus lens see if it got dirty. By clean it without 90% alcohol or acetone, you may recover the performance to 90% if the lens is not scratch or wore out by high power laser

Marco
GulfFO

Post by GulfFO »

Hi Marco,

Thank you for the quick response.

I have verified that it is a "Bill Laser" brand 60W, 1250mm x 55mm

My first step earlier this week was to clean and check alignment on all optics. The focusing lens is scratched but it has been for over a year and the damage has not changed since it worked properly. We will be replacing the focus lens (20mm x 50.8mm focal length) when we order either the tube or the power supply.

I have read that Jinan / artsign brand products are not as high of quality as other machines...the machine was here before me so i'm just trying to understand what i'm working with a little better.

Regards,
Scott
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Oh.. Bill Laser. I know them. Now the top sales I know him well started his tube manufacturer in SuZhou and name the brand is SPT. I have imported about 100x from now from last ocean shipment. Pretty good tube.

While I didn't import 60W from SPT, but I do have SP 60W also a good quality tube from ShangHai. Give it a try and I bet you will like it. It is better than Bill 60W.

http://www.lightobject.com/SP-60W-CO2-S ... e-P70.aspx

True that machine coming from Jinan is not very good in overall. May be there just got too 'many' laser manufacturer and price is very competitive. That ended up everyone is putting low quality or cheaper parts to the machine. The service after sales is technically 'zero'. FYI, I been there 3 times and I gave it up. No more machine from Jinan.

If the scratch is not happening in the center or any where the laser beam would pass through, then it is OK to use it if cleaned. But, if the scratch somehow happened to where a beam can reach, then you better replace it. Plus, the focus lens from the original machine usually is second grade. Clean reflection mirror as well. Once a while, you need to inspect the beam alignment from the 1st mirror the 3rd mirror and the beam alignment through the focus lens. Very critical factor that affect performance of the laser in significant.

Marco
GulfFO

Post by GulfFO »

Thanks Marco.

that is the same tube i had selected for our purchasing department.

One of our other engineers suggested that it might be the power supply going bad and not the laser. I only have approval to buy one of the two pieces...what does your experience suggest is most likely the cause of the problem.

Scott
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Is the machine has a current meter installed? For 60W laser, it need roughly 22mA to drive it in full power. If the laser power can output 22mA or around, the chance of having defective LPSU is less likely

BTW, it is been several years since the machine is operating. If you ask me to bet, I'll be that the 'suspect' is the laser tube.
However, most LPUS life span is 2~3 years. So, even I bet the bad tube, the LPSU may be out of services soon. If your company rely heavily on the machine, it is not a bad idea to get a spare power supply as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing you to buy. LightObject won't push or hard sales to anyone!

Marco
GulfFO

Post by GulfFO »

Marco,

We do have current meter, i will test at full power, post my findings and place an order with sales today.

Thanks!
Scott
GulfFO

Post by GulfFO »

Hi Marco,

At full power we are pushing 24mA solid! So i'm thinking the LPSU is stable ... for now.

Thank you for all your help. We will place our order today!

Scott

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”