Newbie Question - Laser Runs Continuously...

Mojo69

Newbie Question - Laser Runs Continuously...

Post by Mojo69 »

I have just purchased my first laser. The Chinese K40. I really like the upgrades you have offered for it on your site. Will be looking at a few of them after I've learned what will make sense for me.

In the meantime...I have set up the laser as per the weak instructions, and have a condition listed in the user manual troubleshooting section as "working with nonstop laser". They have listed poor grounding as a possible cause.

The laser can be heard arcing slightly even when a job hasn't yet been sent to the laser. When cutting or engraving, the laser leaves a trail wherever it goes... Could this be grounding?

I connected a ground cable to my main electrical panel ground in my garage with 10 guage insulated solid copper wire. The manual talks about a steel rod driven into the ground. Difficult for me since the building is built directly on solid rock.

Any ideas?
NickWL

Re: Newbie Question - Laser Runs Continuously...

Post by NickWL »

It's almost impossible to stress how important it is to ground (earth in UK) anything and everything you can reach! Some even earth (ground if you're American!) the water in the cooler – though I don't.
Get a good clear earthing point and run wires it it from everywhere you can make a connection. Don't worry too much about steel rods into the ground, your mains electricity supply's earth should do fine; I think it's more about having a common potential everywhere without the massive PDs that can result when super-high voltages are involved.
You don't need to use spectacularly thick wire, anything will do.
Nick
:geek:

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”