Looking for some help wiring in X7 on 600/900 80w SOLVED

funhawke

Looking for some help wiring in X7 on 600/900 80w SOLVED

Post by funhawke »

Trying to figure out wiring for wiring in a X7 into a Leetro 6515 controller on my laser cutter with servo motors, x,y and z axis - and rotary.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Searched on forum but not able to find any specifics.
Last edited by funhawke on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Techgraphix

Re: Looking for some help wiring in X7 on 600/900 80w laser

Post by Techgraphix »

Download the MPC6515 manual, download the X7 manual and just compare the signals.. it's that easy..
see where they come from the MPC6515 and where the need to be attached on the X7
signals like X-dir or Z-pulse etc..
Write that down and mark the cables.. so you can find which cable is the one you need to place on the new controller..
I guess some wires will be too short.. See if you can replace the whole wire instead of extending it.. borrow/buy a tool to make the cable-ends right and that's should be it, hardware....
Then programming all settings is quite straightforward.. I don't believe it will work all the first time.. you have to figure out most of the settings by trial and error..
See what you get, interpret, adapt, retry...

Kees
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

ok did the rewire to the new controller but have some extra wires left from the Leetro 6525 connection that I cant find on the X7:

x origin
y origin
one ground
one 5V

Anyone have suggestions?
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Can X and y origin be your homingpoint, for instance your upper-right corner?
In that case you can attach that to the X/Y limit input + or - depending on the side your limit-sensors are placed.
If you configer the controller right, you only need 2 sensors for the homing-sequence. the size of your workspace is in the data so you will never bounce to the other side, normaly spoken..
The extra ground and +5V: if you don't need them, isolate them and tie them up somewhere..

Kees
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

That's right and it's exactly I wanted to say but Kees ahead of me and explained much better than me

Thanks Kees

Marco
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

9515 to x7Convert.jpg
Kees or Marco - No power to panel or controller. Checked with multimeter - no power to controller - which comes directly from converter? Please see attached picture of conversion. Note on the x7 laser1 pin array I do NOT have a connection for the 5V or WP. Does this connection come directly from the PSU (not sure that is what it is called - a picture of its pin array is also included in the single pic.
Last edited by funhawke on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

Kees you mention in an earlier post that you have to figure out the settings by trial and error. It seems I am getting errors only:( When I turn on the system the controller immediately sends the laser head to the upper right corner then "crashes" sending the system into ressetting itself - of which it never does. I turn off system and restart and hit the stop button so as not to have a replay. I then go to the lcd menu options "Origin" and try to set the origin to its current location. I then restart and the head returns to crash mode in the upper right.

Any suggestions? Marco?

Also - I have not connected my x origin or y origin wires from the Leetro controller as you indicated homing can be set by software? How and should I attach anyway to x- or y+
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Did you mean the XY stage didn't stop when it hit those two limit switches at the Top Right corner?
Remember that the limit switch is common negative. You connect X to EX- and Y to EY-, then common other two wires to Gnd

You leave alone of the +5V on the LaserPowerSupply (LPSU). You don't connect the DSP +5V to the LPSU +5V

Motor driver:
DSP Driver
+5V DIR+ and PUL+
DIR DIR-
PUL PUL-

Output to LPSU
DSP LPSU
PWM IN
TTL TH
GND GND
WP (either connect to a water chiller sensor or just ground it to GND)

BTW, can't see the picture you posted. You need to limit the size of the picture not exceeding 1500 or the system will reject it

If you still can't get work, I suggest you to get some help from friends who know a little bit electronics.

Marco
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

I have no limit switch(s) or any switches in top right corner. xy stage immediately goes to top right corner and stops abruptly then the display immediatly tries to reset.

Thank you for your vote of confidence - I thought THIS FORUM was the place where "friends" are in the know? I live in a small village - an hour+ from anyone who would know a fraction of how a laser cutter operates or any electronic board for that matter??
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

First of all, if there is no limit switches installed, your machine won't function properly

Second, it was my suggestion because you're have been struggling for over 3 weeks (per your previous post), I think sometimes we need to set a break point. If you can't go further, find some help. Here the forum of course you can request help. But, this is all go by text and words by words. Sometimes it is better to get 'real' person there to show you 'how'. It is not my intension to offense you by any mean. It is just a frustration what I found based from your post. I hope you don't take it personal because of my suggestion.

To do upgrading of the DSP, basic electronics skill is required. Without the hands on experience, to complete the conversion is a bit of challenging.

Anyway, I won't interfere your post anymore and sorry for my interruption.

Marco
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

Not insulted at all. As I pointed out - friends with those skills in close proximity are nil to none. I appreciate your input as I can see you provide the most it appears - so to remove yours assistance from my posts would indeed be an insult.

Kevin
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Then, I need you to do me or us a favor. Please video your machine and show most connections aso detail yout can. Also, capture the laser cad parameters settings would be a big help
I want to know what is the current state and how far you gone through.

Remember that two limit switches is required or the system will crash on the bar if limit switches is not installed

Marco
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

hi kevin
as far as I could follow if you got your limit switch at the left upper position you need to set up in the manufacturer parameter for " left up"
if you need more help send me a PM
greetings
waltfl

funhawke wrote:Not insulted at all. As I pointed out - friends with those skills in close proximity are nil to none. I appreciate your input as I can see you provide the most it appears - so to remove yours assistance from my posts would indeed be an insult.

Kevin
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Sometimes you can mix up + or - for the direction. The upper right corner is - on both X and y axis.. But if you programmed it to be different (if you could) it will be in another corner.
A thing you could do is simply test as follows:
Make a panel with four switches. Mark them as 1 2 3 and 4
Attach these to the EX+ EX- EY+ and EY- from the controller..
Set your speed to a very low level, say 10mm/sec so you have the time to press the switches.
Place the laserhead somewhere in the middle and turn the machine on.
It will creep slowly to the homecorner.
While it is moving, press the switches one after another. If you see a change in movement, for it goes only vertical or horizontal instead of diagonal, you have hit one of the right switches.
If it starts to move only horizontal you just hit the EY- switch. same with a movement in only vertical direction: you just hit the EX- (if your head goes right-up)

But limitswitches are essential. You can use the ordinairy microswitches but IMHO a few proximity-sensors (which are almost equaly priced) do better. The wiring of those proxy's is not too hard either: they come with 3 wires: brown, blue and black. Brown can be attached to the +24V, Blue to GND and Black is the output and must be attached to the corresponding E-input (ie. EX- EX+ EY- or EY+, als you found with the switchpanel)

BTW, what is your level of electronicsknowledge? i understood you can handle a multimeter and more or less succesfully rewire the controller.. I ask this because i could skip some info as i think that is known but need more detail for unknown..

Kees
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

Techgraphix wrote:
BTW, what is your level of electronicsknowledge? i understood you can handle a multimeter and more or less succesfully rewire the controller.. I ask this because i could skip some info as i think that is known but need more detail for unknown..

Kees
Built computers, modded various electronic devices, auto electronics and complete new home wiring - understand the concept and application better than the jargon of the beast. Expert no, handy yes.

This is where it is at. machine fires up and immediately goes to upper right corner where it hits both x and y limit switches (yes I have found them) The display screen then resets and goes to main - cannot move x or y as the limit switches are activated.

I have stopped the movement prior to hitting the limit switches to do some testing. I have completed the test sample with laser off and laser on (WP works fine btw) pattern with some success but it does not stop - repeats the same sample(Chinese duck) over and over - again I suspect this is a software issue UPDATE: FIXED REPEAT. FILE HAD BEEN SET FOR 1000 REPEATS - RESET ON DISPLAY TO 1 . All fans, exhaust, air assist, and water cooler activate on que. Box menu item works fine although I am unable to verify the accuracy of the dimensions for both the box and test file.

All axis respond - x works fine while y and z axis are reversed (left goes right, up goes down etc) Not a biggy can change wire but I believe there is a software fix for direction, yes? The amount of movement on each press of direction button is substantial, 4 cm on the Y axis and 1.5 on the X axis. Is there a way to reduce this movement...is this called "nudge", again a software issue I believe...which leads to next problem.

I can only communicate with a small netbook laptop. Screen interface is challenging as it does not display entire control panel for testing - untilzing menu tools with limited success. Larger laptop is Win8 and does not recognize drivers.

I am close and believe my issues are software related NOT wiring - your thoughts?

NOTE TO MARCO: I did take a video but very large files to upload - pics ok?
9515 to x7Convert.jpg

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”