XLE steppers locked up when powered?

punitor1

XLE steppers locked up when powered?

Post by punitor1 »

Hello,

My 3 phase, 3 wire XLE steppers lock up when the system is powered up. I am running them with 3MD560 Drivers and an v5 BOB.

The BOB appears to be functioning properly. See the attached BOB-Driver wiring diagram.

It is my understanding that the 3 wire steppers can be wired in any combination to the U,V,W outputs from the driver - is this not correct?

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Travis
Attachments
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (75.86 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
Tech_Marco

Re: XLE steppers locked up when powered?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Travis

It is normal that stepping motor locked up when power up. That way, it won't lose step easily. It run once signal is applied

Marco
punitor1

Post by punitor1 »

Hey Marco,

They stay locked up even when a signal is sent from the BOB.

Travis
lauckstreet

Post by lauckstreet »

I recently received my parts and have those same stepper drivers. I couldn't find any kind of wiring diagram in the forum for wiring the stepper motors to these stepper drivers or for wiring the stepper drivers to the main controller. I looked up 3MD650 Microstepping Driver and found this PDF file: http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/3MD560d.pdf

It looks like the stepper motors are attached to U/V/W but I don't know which wire goes to which terminal. It doesn't say. Perhaps it doesn't matter. My stepper motors are the 1.2 degree 5.2 Amp motors that came with my x-y axis/gantry.

It also looks like VCC from the main controller goes to PUL+, DIR+ and ENA+. PUL from the controller goes to PUL- on the stepper driver. DIR on the controller goes to DIR- on the stepper driver. ENABLE on the controller goes to ENA- on the stepper driver.

If VCC = 5V then no resister is required on the PUL and DIR wires. If it's 12V, then a 1K resister is required and if it is 24V then a 2K resister is required.

So, I'm totally confused because there's nothing labeled ENABLE on the main controller and I don't know which wire on the stepper motor goes to which connection on the stepper driver (U/V/W). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Hunt
lauckstreet

Post by lauckstreet »

I just looked up the stepper motors from Leadshine and found this wiring diagram/PDF - http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/573Sxx.pdf

I also found this additional PDF on the stepper drivers - http://leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/3MD560m.pdf

OK, I think the red wire on the stepper motor is W, yellow is U and blue is V. But I still don't understand how to wire the driver to the controller. That ENABLE wire from the controller is the part I don't understand.

Bob
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Bob, it doesn't matter which one is U, V, or W. You can connect it to the motor driver in any combination. The DSP card can be configured to take any configuration. Also, leave the "Enable" un-connected.

Connection to the DSP
: +5V (DSP) to +5V (Driver)
: PUL (DSP) to PUL (Driver)
: DIR (DSP) to DIR (Driver)

Connection is very straight forward and please follow the connection diagram I sent. By the way, on that connection diagram there is missing power connection on the X motor driver and it is needed. Power it like the Y driver. Also, "OPTO" is same as "+5V" on the 2M415 driver

Marco
lauckstreet

Post by lauckstreet »

Tech_Marco wrote:Bob, it doesn't matter which one is U, V, or W. You can connect it to the motor driver in any combination. The DSP card can be configured to take any configuration. Also, leave the "Enable" un-connected.

Connection to the DSP
: +5V (DSP) to +5V (Driver)
: PUL (DSP) to PUL (Driver)
: DIR (DSP) to DIR (Driver)

Connection is very straight forward and please follow the connection diagram I sent. By the way, on that connection diagram there is missing power connection on the X motor driver and it is needed. Power it like the Y driver. Also, "OPTO" is same as "+5V" on the 2M415 driver

Marco
I didn't get that drawing Marco, could you please send it to me. I connected PUL to PUL and DIR to DIR but I'm very confused by the +5v and what about ground. I get no lights on the stepper drivers, the control panel says resetting but stays that way unless I press STOP on the control panel. Then I can access the menu and such. Shouldn't I have a led lit on the drivers when they're working? Could you please send me that drawing? And you're saying no wires are connected to DSP+, PUL+ and ENA+ on the stepper driver?

Bob
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Bob, I sent you software, OS, and the connection diagram through email. Didn't you get it?
Anyway, I'll send the connection diagram link again

Marco
lauckstreet

Post by lauckstreet »

Tech_Marco wrote:Bob, I sent you software, OS, and the connection diagram through email. Didn't you get it?
Anyway, I'll send the connection diagram link again

Marco
Yes, I got a wiring diagram and it doesn't match my drivers or stepper motors. Perhaps you sent me an outdated diagram. The diagram you sent has 4 wires on the stepper motors, my motors have 3 and the drivers have 6 switches and different labels. My drivers have 8 switches.

Bob
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

That is for ref only. You need to configure the current, resolution for the motor. I already mentioned it from another post

The 3 phase motor is 5A so you can set anything closed (less) to the 5A like 4.8A
Speed wise, you can do 3200, 4000, or 5000. The higher number, the better resolution but you got less torque
You have CNC machine so you know what I mean, don't you?

Marco
lauckstreet

Post by lauckstreet »

Tech_Marco wrote:That is for ref only. You need to configure the current, resolution for the motor. I already mentioned it from another post

The 3 phase motor is 5A so you can set anything closed (less) to the 5A like 4.8A
Speed wise, you can do 3200, 4000, or 5000. The higher number, the better resolution but you got less torque
You have CNC machine so you know what I mean, don't you?

Marco
Yes, I have a CNC machine. I have everything wired exactly as you said, 5v to DIR+ and PUL+, DSP PUL to PUL-, DSP DIR to DIR-, stepper wires to W,V,U. When I turn the power on the display says resetting... And stays that way until I press stop. I have no LED's turned on on either stepper driver. When I press the arrow buttons on the control panel it beeps but the motors don't move. They also are not energized. So something isn't right.

Bob
lauckstreet

Post by lauckstreet »

Ok, one important piece of the puzzle was missing. Power to the stepper drivers. I connected 24V DC to the Voltage VCC and ground to ground and now the motors initialize and move when I press the arrows. However, direction seems to be reversed. I'm not controlling it from software but from the controller display. Is there a setting to reverse the direction? Based on the location of the limit switches, it appears that 0,0 is in the right hand upper corner. Therefore, the + direction should be down and to the left but that's the - direction. How do I reverse that?

Bob
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Did you install "Limit Switch" (Home)?
The system need to park itself to the Home first. Otherwise, the LCD will keep search home and show "Resetting..."
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

lauckstreet wrote:Ok, one important piece of the puzzle was missing. Power to the stepper drivers. I connected 24V DC to the Voltage VCC and ground to ground and now the motors initialize and move when I press the arrows. However, direction seems to be reversed. I'm not controlling it from software but from the controller display. Is there a setting to reverse the direction? Based on the location of the limit switches, it appears that 0,0 is in the right hand upper corner. Therefore, the + direction should be down and to the left but that's the - direction. How do I reverse that?

Bob
Use LaserCad parameter setup to reverse the direction. See manual please
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

See image
Attachments
DSP_Direction.JPG
DSP_Direction.JPG (82.41 KiB) Viewed 3839 times

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”