Got electric shot yesterday by a 150W CO2 laser power supply

Tech_Marco

Got electric shot yesterday by a 150W CO2 laser power supply

Post by Tech_Marco »

What a shock! While I was testing a 120W~180W power supply on a "F4" tube. I got shock unexpectedly from a spark (arc) about 1inch from away the HV connection (bear wire, no protection). You can image how much current passing through my body from my pinkie when seeing fireball about 1" long. The feeling was no good. I could smell burned a few seconds after the shock. Almost 1/4" burn mark left on of my pinkie and smell BBQ. I felt like being a bunch by 100# punch on my face. Lucky that the tube was firing so most part of electric current was passing through the tube. I guess may be 10% or less current was actually passing through my body. Otherwise, it may knock me down unconscious!

So folks, be careful when dealing with the CO2 laser power supply. It's not a toy and need to treat it seriously. Be respectful to the 30KV monster or you will never forgot the feeling of being electric shock not like the feel being 'shock' by a pretty girl (sweat right 8-) ) but by an angry "Fire cow" or "Angry cow" -the term we used in Hong Kong to name a transformer.

Marco

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”