Fotek SSR-40VA

acetate

Fotek SSR-40VA

Post by acetate »

I see in the Fotek datasheet for the SSR-40DA that they also make an SSR-40VA relay. The SSR-40VA sounds like a much better fit for a project that I am working on. I am trying to avoid using PWM to control a 220V 20A circuit as I'm concerned about making the lights flicker in our home. Hence my goal is to use a digital pot hooked to the SSR-40VA to control the large circuit. I am wondering is this something that lightobject.com can get for me?
Tech_Marco

Re: Fotek SSR-40VA

Post by Tech_Marco »

Regardless PWM or not, you will always get flicking on your home lightning once a load of 10A or higher current is conducting. The SSR doesn't has built-in PWM module, it's just a LED coupling cirucit to trigger a traic (AC) or SSR (DC). So, I'm sure why you mention the PWM here.
acetate

Post by acetate »

I would use PWM from an Arduino-type board.

The SSR-40VA appears to be the best part but I can't find any US suppliers. I see you have a number of Fotek SSRs. Is it possible for you to get the SSR-40VA?
tomocar

Post by tomocar »

not sure if you will check back since your question was in Feb (now end of April) but... Are you turning lights and appliences on and off or dimming lights with pwm??? pwm is typically used to vary the average voltage in DC circuirts, not AC circuits. If you are, for example, building a speed controller for a DC motor you would use PCM - but PCM cant control an SSR. For home wiring AC, use SCR (triac) phase control not PCM, and not SSR. SSR can only turn on/off. The fastest you could turn it on/off would be one full cycle at a time. For example to achieve 10% brightness of a light bulb, give on one cycle on out of ten??? Bad flicker - on/off 12 times per second. SCR/Triac phase control, on the other hand, gives you percent of each cycle on versus off, so always on/off 120 times per second - flicker not noticeable. All AC light dimmers are phase control, not PCM. Good luck.

Return to “Electronics”