Switch Y to Rotary LIVE PCB + layout

Techgraphix

Switch Y to Rotary LIVE PCB + layout

Post by Techgraphix »

As some people have problems connecting their rotary to one of the AWC/X7 controllers and or have problems with the resetfunction while the rotary is connected, i develloped a small circuitboard that solves most of the "problems"
With this circuitboard it is possible to connect or disconnect the rotary while the macine is on. So you can do the normal reset and powerup with the homingsequence for the Y-axis. Place the Y-axis in the centre of the Rotary and then switch over to the Rotary. The Y-axis will still be powered so hard to move, but will not make any steps.
In the attached file is the PCB layout and componentsetting..
RotaryYPCB.dxf
(233.29 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
The connection diagram:
CN1
1 +5V IN
2 + Y/DIR from Lasercontroller (or +5V)
3 - Y/DIR from Lasercontroller (or Y/DIR)
4 + Y/PUL from Lasercontroller (or +5V)
5 - Y/PUL from Lasercontroller (or Y/PUL)
6 GND (0V)

CN2
1 -ENA Rotary Stepperdriver
2 +5V OUT (to Rotary stepperdriver)
3 +DIR to Rotary stepperdriver
4 - DIR to Rotary stepperdriver
5 +PUL to Rotary stepperdriver
6 - PUL to Rotary stepperdriver

CN3
1 +5V OUT (to Y stepperdriver)
2 +DIR to Y stepperdriver
3 - DIR to Y stepperdriver
4 +PUL to Y stepperdriver
5 - PUL to Y stepperdriver

Partslist will follow (i only have Conrad-numbers but if you look at their site you see what it is and find the same item in your (local) electronics-shop
Kees
Last edited by Techgraphix on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Techgraphix

Re: Switch Y to Rotary LIVE PCB + layout

Post by Techgraphix »

RotationalYPCB.JPG
RotationalYPCB.JPG (46.61 KiB) Viewed 8409 times
This is the prototype.
A new, better, layout is posted (RotaryYPCB.dxf)

The partslist. This are Conrad.nl ordernumbers so if you don't order with them you have to find similar parts.. The description is there..

2 female screw-connectors RM3.81 6-pole nr. 731913-89
1 female screw-connector RM3.81 5-pole nr. 731898-89
2 male sockets RM3.81 6-pole nr. 732126-89
1 male sockets RM3.81 5-pole nr. 732112-89
1 IC-socket 20-pin with Capicitor nr. 189448-89
1 IC 74HCT244 DIL-20 nr. 150932-89
1 resistor 220R 1/4W nr. 1089790-89
2 resistors 10K 1/4W nr. 1089976-89

1 LED (RED or BLUE or GREEN or ...., whatever you like most..)
1 switch on/on ( like nr.701343 - 89)
1 Printed Circuitboard
some wire....

Kees
prcdslnc13

Post by prcdslnc13 »

Do you have pictures of this hooked up and implemented?
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Not of this PCB.. I send it to someone in the USA.
But my own circuit is also includes a circuit to switch Z to U while the job is running..
I have it in my machine for years now so you will see my first controller (DF212)

Kees
Rotary_Y_Z-U-PCB.JPG
Rotary_Y_Z-U-PCB.JPG (76.68 KiB) Viewed 8342 times
Tim

Post by Tim »

I like your board! Do you have an Eagle file? I've never seen an IC socket with an added capacitor, but it would be easy to solder one on the pins if it's needed. The value appears to be 100nF ceramic type.

-Tim
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

I spend many hours trying Eagle but didn't get the results I wanted (most surely my own incompetence.. you simply can't be good in everything).
So I have to answer that with a NO unfortunately.
I can provide all kinds of vectors. If you can make a production-ready Eagle-file from it, I would appreciate it.
IC-sockets with integrated caps are quite common, search harder ;-) .. Maybe you don't even need one.. and adding one on board is also possible, ofcoarse.

Kees
Tim

Post by Tim »

I have found the sockets. I've never dealt with a "Open Frame, Decoupling Capacitor" before. I'll have to look into it. If you don't mind, I'll see what I can do about a similar two layer design in Eagle. It might be a while, I don't do anything in a rush these days!

-Tim
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

It can be done single-sided, as I did. Problem however, is to find the right connectors in the so many huge libraries.. I couldn't find them. And drawing all the solder-islands in the shape I want is almost impossible unless you define your own components.. I haven't found how to... yet..
So for simple circuits like these I prefer drawing it in ordinary CAD-programs.. But if I (or someone else) should make 100 of them, a good Gerber-file (or similar) would be ideal.. Eagle can make these.. I know.. but I don't know how to make one...
In the attachment, the eagle-files to the point where I stranded.. De connectors have the wrong pitch (5mm) and the traces and islands should be different..

Kees
RotaryY.ZIP
(34.29 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

@Tim:
If you are still around... have you made any progress developing a Eagle-layout of this PCB?

Kees
Tim

Post by Tim »

Not yet...did you figure it out? I had decided to just use a breadboard for mine and get it over with. Thanks for the reminder, I'll contact another resource that might be able to help out.

-Tim
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

i thought out that this could also be done in a simple way with a DPDT (double-pole-double-throw) switch:
Rotary-Y-switch.jpg
Both Y and Rotary PUL- and DIR- entries of the drivers are connected to the controller's Y-PUL and Y-DIR
In Normal operation:
Y-PUL+ and Y-DIR+ are connected to +5V
ENA+ of the Rotary-driver is +5V, while ENA- is always connected to GND, in this state the ROTARY-driver is disabled and the rotary can be attached or removed..
Also the green led will lit.. This can be a bi-color common cathode led. When you have a common anode type you have to change the wiring a bit.. This is drawn in the lightgrey box left-down.

IN Rotary operation:
Y-PUL- and Y-DDIR- will be connected to GND, so no pulses will be passed to the Y-stepperdriver but the motor will be forced at position
ENA+ of the rotary will be GND-level so the ROTARY-drive is enabled.
And the red LED will lit.

All you need for this is one DPDT-switch, two leds or one Bi-Color-led Common cathode and a resistor 220 Ohm 1/4 Watt .... and some wire..

Kees
Tim

Post by Tim »

Kess,

Did you see the end of this post viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2326&start=30 ? Talk of converting the "U" axis to an "A" axis and another dpdt tptt switch.

-Tim
DonL

Post by DonL »

Tim wrote:Kess,

Did you see the end of this post viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2326&start=30 ? Talk of converting the "U" axis to an "A" axis and another dpdt tptt switch.

-Tim

I see there are a number of ways, The one above is simple with LED feedback, nice... There is the using a TPTT (Triple Pole Triple Throw switch to just switch all three required signals from one driver to the other, but the best solution is one that Tech_Marco is looking into and that is to make changes to LaserCAD and the LO-X7 software to utilize the U axis as a U and Rotary control.
This makes all kinds of sense since the feeder option is seldom used, and parameters can be saved and not changed every time you have to switch between Rotary and normal use.
If someone is using a Rotary they have no need to use the feeder if they have one. A simple check-box could be used to stop using the Y axis and transfer those commands to the Rotary

This is something I assumed was already in LaserCAD and the LO-X7 and was disappointed to find you had to disconnect this - connect that - change this param and that param then test then engrave then do the same in reverse to go back to normal engraving...

The ideal solution is one where I drop in the rotary, plug it in, put my object on it, align the laser head then in the software I select Rotary, enter the diameter and length of the object I am lasering, Laser cad resizes the work area to represent those parameters and calculates all the necessary UM pulses and limits...
Attachments
pbottle.jpg
pbottle.jpg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 8144 times
paris.JPG

Return to “Electronics”