I broke my K40 and can't find parts (sorry long post)

WarpedMindGames

I broke my K40 and can't find parts (sorry long post)

Post by WarpedMindGames »

Hello all,

I recently found this website and already enjoying the plethora of support and knowledge this forum has presented me. I have a K40 modified 40W laser with a newer control board and USB (uses LaserDrw 2.013). I have stepped on every landmine imaginable in the two months that I have owned this laser and now have broken it good! Here's just a hint of what I've done horribly wrong to this thing, but first let me explain where I am now:

Somehow I broke what appears to be a sensor or limiter for the x axis. There is a small circuit board under the gantry of this laser that has a sensor, the carriage unit has a metal prong that sticks out. Apparently when the sensor registers something in it's eye it stops the west movement (towards 0) and cuts off that motor. The machine literally goes towards coord 0.0 and stops the Y axis when the sensor is tripped but, because of the broken sensor under the gantry, the machine never reaches it's 0 location on the x axis and continues to stutter until you just turn the machine off. Also, sometime during this process WInXP/LaserDRW throws an error that it cannot identify the machine error ID:01

The big issues I am having:

1) I cannot find a replacement sensor on this site, other sites, eBay, or Google. I have yet to contact the seller I bought the unit from on eBay for help and will be doing so after this post.
2) I don't have the needed money for the full DSP upgrade (preferred option) for this unit or a replacement unit to continue to run my custom acrylic token business.

3) I'm behind on a couple large orders that are pay upon delivery for my tokens, so the business is at a standstill.

If anyone has any helpful ideas or a place to find parts it would be GREATLY appreciated. The Controller board that I have in the machine is the listed as 6C6879-Laser-M2.

I currently have to build my tokens in Corel X6, convert down to CorelDraw/Photo 12 then move my items over to the WinsealXP program because the CorelDraw Plugin was never shipped or never worked, could also use help with this. I also appear to have a setting for engrave (carve 40% into the material) or cut straight through, I don't seem to have anything in between so I must be doing something horribly wrong here too.

So far, in 2 months, I've blown up a focus crystal, installed a reflecting mirror backwards, burnt the crap out of my hand during an optics alignment, somehow got enough water into my airpump that the air nozzle was sputtering like a faucet. I think I've pretty much hit every landmine that I could have at this point. I will continue to read through these forums and discussions, and have just recently bought and installed a replacement head for the K40 with an 18~20 50.08HQ focus laser. I got everything installed and ran the laser for about 4 hours today before these whole shenanigans started. I already have a bucket list of must haves from this site and greatly appreciate everything that everyone has posted here.

thanks again in advance,

Brian Mead
CEO
Warped Mind Games, LLC
(like us Facebook)
Tech_Marco

Re: I broke my K40 and can't find parts (sorry long post)

Post by Tech_Marco »

I got bunch of those sensor unused. I will post a picture and you let me know if it is right for you
If it is, then send me postage + $5 and I will mail you two

Marco
WarpedMindGames

You are the man!

Let me know when/where the pic is posted, your contact info, and your Paypal info, and if it's the correct sensor I'll buy 4 of those things. You can never have enough spare parts lying around.

After looking through the site, I think I'm going to DIY my next laser, all the products here look very good and have excellent reviews. I've disassembled and reassembled the electronics and mechanics of this thing a few times already trying to figure out the various things I broke . The only thing I haven't played with yet is the laser tube itself or its connections.
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Brian
PLEASE splash out and buy Marco's DSP kit - it replaces all the original electronics with really useful stuff that integrates with CorelDRAW and really works!
It was the best move I ever made with my K40.
Nick
WarpedMindGames

I would LOVE to do this but I just cant squeeze 750.00 right now. It is definitely on my bucket list, that AND the Z table.

I'm wondering if I can get the limit switches and the wiring and just change over those parts for now. I've been looking at the manuals and forum posts but I don't see where the switches would plug into.

I've already bought a replacement laser head and better focus crystal from here, and am looking at the pro mounts.

If the process were a piecemeal thing that could be done, that would be much better for me.
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

... and then there's the rotary bed for engraving bottles and glasses!
Will it never end?
Nick
WarpedMindGames

After some searching, I found the necessary optical interrupter part numbers for a good price. I have 10 on order to get this laser back up and running. After having a business meeting with the other half we decided that first half of November we are splashing out for the DSP upgrade, the PWM power supply, and the Z table upgrade.

Thank you Marco for trying to help us out, I'm sure we'll be emailing you with our needs/wants and helps for the DPS upgrade very soon!

Wohoo!!!!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

There are two home sensor: X & Y. Tell me which one you want. See picture
Note: it may not 100% compatible, so you may need to do minor modification.
The pin layout (flat cable) should be identical

Marco
Attachments
K40Sensor2.jpg
K40Sensor1.jpg
WarpedMindGames

The small one is what busted. I already ordered the sensor itself.

I am going to be doing the DSP upgrade soon and will get with you on the quote, I'll need the arcylic replacement for the top panel, the z table acrylic, and most of the stuff in the DSP upgrade kit ( i already have the replacement head). I will also be getting the 20/40/60w PWM PSU and 2 20mm or 25mm pro mounts for the reflectors. I don't know what the advantages of 20mm or 25mm are. Is bigger diameter better?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Our Paypal is "[email protected]"
S/H: $2.75
Module: $2.5 each

For bigger system, bigger lens is needed. FYI, a bigger laser tube will come up bigger light beam. For example, a 40W tube may the diameter be 4mm but for a Reci 150W, the beam diameter could be 10mm when fully energized. It is worst if not fully energized say 6~8mA the beam diameter could be as big as 16mm when passed by the second mirror.

Bigger mirror/lens has better heat dissipation than the smaller one. Usually a K40 use 20mm reflection mirror and 18mm focus lens. But some K40 come with 14mm focus lens. No surprise

If one need to use a beam expander, then the reflection mirror needed is even bigger like 30mm or 35mm. We custom made special mirror mount and laser head to accommodate such need

Marco
WarpedMindGames

I just wanted to update this post, as it has been alive for awhile.

I have purchased the 600x400 aluminum frame, and the 600x400XLE stage. I'm in the process of building and wiring them. I cannot say enough good things about this site and this community.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to helping me on this post, as well as the other posts.

Return to “Electronics”