Stepper Motor Troubleshooting

polarstones

Stepper Motor Troubleshooting

Post by polarstones »

Curious if anyone has ideas on an issue I'm having. I'm setting up a z-axis table for my K40 laser, using this motor driver

http://www.lightobject.com/Mini-2-Phase ... -P650.aspx

and a 100 pulse per revolution encoder. I carefully wired everything up, and when I run it, I measure voltage going to the phases of the stepper motor, and the voltage oscillates +/- with the pulses, as I would expect it to...but the motor isn't actually moving. I checked resistance across each of the phases, and positive to negative, there is high resistance (>1MOhm), and there are dead shorts across both the two positive leads, as well as the two negative leads. This is admittedly my first time working with a stepper motor, so I would believe that the high resistance across each individual phase is OK, but I'm uncertain about the +/+ and -/- being shorted.

Any support anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen
polarstones

Re: Stepper Motor Troubleshooting

Post by polarstones »

OK, I have the motor rotating now (schematics I found for the motor were misleading, swapping the two centre leads got it moving...just don't have directional control...have to make certain my signals are right at the 'DIR' connection on the controller. Currently, I'm supply it with switched 5VDC, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.
Tech_Marco

Re: Stepper Motor Troubleshooting

Post by Tech_Marco »

Are you trying to drive the motor by DC signal??
I believed I emailed you to tell you that you need stepping motor driver in order to make it 'spin'

For a stepping motor, there are three inputs:
1) Power
2) PUL - pulse power
3) DIR - direction signal

Marco

Return to “Electronics”