AutoFocusHead.jpg
AutoFocusHead.jpg (98.56 KiB) Viewed 20928 times
Tech_Marco

Re: Real time tracking auto focus laser head

Post by Tech_Marco »

KnightMaire

Post by KnightMaire »

That is AWESOME! I'm super stoked that you got that one going!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I have that idea back to 5~6 years ago. At that time, I couldn't find any digital distance sensor and thinking to design one. I went to talk with an engineer in Parallax, Rosevile in California where is 45min drive from my office. Anyway, long story short. Recently I found the sensor so I teamed up with my buddy Rix who know programming well. So, we split the project in half: hardware and software. I take care the hardware production and he take care the coding. First prototype was terrible because wrong ball screw was using and some design flaw. It cost me a trip back to China and got it fixed. The first version could travel as fast 80mm/s. The revised model can run as fast as 300mm/s.

See a new video I made:

marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

A couple customer called for the status of their purchase of the RTAF system. I'm sorry that we're a little behind schedule on PCB designed and fabrication. The design is completed and has been sent to prototyping. The controller should be ready in 2~3 weeks.

Marco
fnaranjob

Post by fnaranjob »

Hi Marco

I’m interested in purchasing one of your new “Real time tracking autofocus laser heads”, for a customer with a very large laser cutting machine, for which leveling of the cutting table would be too hard and expensive, I have a few questions though:

- Does the item in your online store (LSR-RTAF70M) include the stepper motor, stepper driver and power supply?
- Is this head a standalone unit?, does it have its own control independent from the machine’s controller?
- Is it compatible with any type of laser controller? Or is a specific DSP model required?
- Could you please send documentation on how to integrate it to a laser machine?

Thank you in advance for your help
Best regards,
Fernando
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hi Fernando:

Good to hear from you again! Please see my reply below:

- Does the item in your online store (LSR-RTAF70M) include the stepper motor, stepper driver and power supply?
Ans: Motor (Yes), Driver(Yes), power supply (No, you need DC 24V 3A or 5A better)

- Is this head a standalone unit?, does it have its own control independent from the machine’s controller?
Ans: Yes.

- Is it compatible with any type of laser controller? Or is a specific DSP model required?
Ans: Should work for most DSP controller. It need 'LH' (TTL signal to Laser power supply to work)

- Could you please send documentation on how to integrate it to a laser machine?
Ans: Working on it. It is pretty simple for installation and control. The most challenging task is to get it correct mounting plate to hang the laser head. Plus, a modified mounting plate for the 2nd mirror may be required. But we provide laser metal cut to assist you should you provide a drawing.

Marco
fnaranjob

Post by fnaranjob »

Hi Marco,

Great!, I'm working as an advisor for a customer who is building an incredibly large laser cutter (around 20 feet long!), he will be purchasing from you, not me, I think it will work, I'll have him contact you when we're finished selecting the required components.
fnaranjob

Post by fnaranjob »

Tech_Marco wrote:Hi Fernando:

Good to hear from you again! Please see my reply below:

Ans: Motor (Yes), Driver(Yes), power supply (No, you need DC 24V 3A or 5A better)

Ans: Yes.

Ans: Should work for most DSP controller. It need 'LH' (TTL signal to Laser power supply to work)

Ans: Working on it. It is pretty simple for installation and control. The most challenging task is to get it correct mounting plate to hang the laser head. Plus, a modified mounting plate for the 2nd mirror may be required. But we provide laser metal cut to assist you should you provide a drawing.

Marco
Hi Marco,

Please let me know as soon as you have documentation on how to install this new head, I need at least electrical connections instructions as I need to verify what's needed to interface your head's control to the machine's controller

Thank you
Fernando
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

We need to re-work the circuit board on the ATF. We found some glitch with the current board. So, I need to push 2 more months before launching :(

Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Update:
This version has 'sinking' issue fixed and bouncing has been minimized by changing sensor location
What is next? Need to make sure no more bouncing appear during cutting. Fine tuning on sensitivity to get optimized speed

Marco
1-24-2019
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Update: Most issues have been taken care. Waiting for new controller board fabricated and need new parts for the laser head.

Marco ;)
fnaranjob

Post by fnaranjob »

Hi Marco,

How is this project going, when do you expect to have it available?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Logic is OK and it works as expected. We redesigned the controller board but the tech made a mistake so we have to send it to fabricate again. Bummer!
I'm heading tonight and I'll be there by 15th. I'll spend some time with the tech to get it done. Once new board tested and function well, we're ready to ship. Currently, another tech is working on the manual. I'll post it once completed.

Regards,
Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

See the difference between the first design and the latest design

Old design:
Old design
Old design
New design:
New design
New design